This Adorable Boston Sandwich Shop Was Once A Public Restroom
It's hard to believe a 650-square foot octagonal structure could churn out such delicious sandwiches, but the Earl of Sandwich on the Boston Common does just that.
Even more interesting is the fact that the cast stone over terra cotta brick building was once a men's restroom!
Built in 1919, the "Pink Palace," as it was once known, shut down in the 1970s and fell into a state of severe disrepair.
The Orlando, Florida-based sandwich chain began to show interest in the building around 2010, noting its proximity to the Common's athletic fields, tennis courts, and the Parkman Bandstand - popular gathering spots for potential customers.
Considered one of nine historic structures on the Common, the Boston Landmarks Commission were happy to consider the Earl of Sandwich's proposal to renovate and repurpose the space.
To pay homage to the original men's "comfort station," the sandwich chain restored the historic clerestory windows and the roof’s copper flashing and skylight.
After a one million dollar interior and exterior facelift, the shop opened in 2012.
The Boston Common Earl of Sandwich is open every day from 11 AM to 6 PM and serves "a wide variety of sandwiches on fresh-baked artisan bread, hand-tossed salads, soups, wraps and more."
Check out the menu and plan your visit here!